THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, July 17, 2011

My American Girl

Disclaimer:  I, quite shockingly, almost had nothing to take pictures with on our outing.  My nice camera didn't have a memory card, I'd forgotten my phone, I was left with the measly camera on our video camera.  Terrible quality pictures, but at least I got some!!


Our magical girlie date was on Saturday.  I got up and to the mall by 5:30 a.m. to stand in line so that when they started handing out tickets at 6:00 a.m. to get into the store at 9:00 a.m., I would be ready.  I heard some people who were there from Portland and thought "Man, they are hard core".  Then I realized that I was standing at the mall in the freezing rain at 5:30 a.m. to get into a doll store and thought "Touche".



This was the best girlie date ever.  Girlie squeezed my hand so tight as we stood in line, she was so excited.  They had lots of little gifts and crafts for the girls to do.  Little girls with their dolls just giggled.  The excitement was almost palpable.  Once in the store, Girlie's eyes grew huge and I think she was a little overwhelmed by it all. 


They had the cutest displays with the most adorable outfits and the most darling furniture and accessories.  It was hard not to succumb to the American Girl frenzy and fill the oversized shopping bags with accessories, dolls, and playsets. 

I will be the first to admit that they ask an exorbitant amount of money for all this cute stuff, but, oh goodness, if you had seen her face when I told her she could pick out a doll. 



I did get an extra outfit, because they suckered me in (even though I didn't fall for the $8 doll brush that they tried to talk me into).  But it was a special, and I'm saving it to give at Christmas.

She was SO excited.  She finally picked the perfect doll (though at the last minute she wanted to get a $75 play horse instead, which we didn't do).

She made a crown at a craft station.  They also had karaoke, which we didn't do, but I'm sure Girlie could have rocked it if she'd wanted to. :)

Meet Kanani, the newest member of our family. (I think it also helped her deal with the unexpected death of Nemo this morning.  Poor thing just cried.  We had a little fish funeral, sang a song, and all said nice things about Nemo before we sent him on his "final swim" down the toilet).

3 love notes:

Aubrey said...

So cute! Thanks for posting about your wonderful outing. The doll is so pretty. She deserved a special date after everything she's been through, and you deserve it too. Love you guys!

hannah bee said...

Oh Melynie! You are a SUPER MOM!! What a dream come true for such a deserving little lady! They're expensive but worth every penny. I was always saving my money to buy accessories when I was young. I'm going to make copies of my patterns for Samantha's dresses for you!! I know they don't really match the Hawaiian girl's time period or style but I'm sure she's a well rounded doll (:

Gina said...

What an awesome date you had! Glad you had something that took photos. Surely better than nothing at all! What a treat!