THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 28, 2009

My Affair with Michaels

It's been going on for some time now. My affair with Michaels. Maybe it was the cute 12x12 scrapbook paper, or the grapevine wreaths that first attracted me. It's hard to remember now, so much time has gone by since our first encounter. Since that first love-at-first-sight moment, I knew we would be so good together. I walk in, and my senses are overwhelmed with the scent of new crafting materials. The baskets, the home decor, the clearance aisle. They captivate me.

Even armed with the knowledge that I don't truly need anything in that store, I can't quit. Even with the knowledge that at home wait for me faithful and perfectly stylish and unused embellishments, cake decorating supplies, and ribbon. I can't help myself. I am drawn in. My mind is invigorated with inspiration of what I could make with that thing that I didn't know I needed, that also happens to be on sale. My pulse quickens when I realize that an alluring 50% off coupon is tempting me to just go ahead and buy that mat cutter. I know I'll love it.

I usually try to save our rendezvous for late evening or weekends, but sometimes I can't wait, and I have to go during the day, with the kids. Not as fun, and usually less expensive...but, it is still Michaels. I think that J has sensed something going on. He usually rages about "budgets" and "massive amounts of crafting junk" and whatnot after one of our encounters. But the heart wants what the heart wants.

I think it might be love.

9 love notes:

Devin & Anisa said...

You write in such a way that maybe I need to have you consult with my husband for counseling! Love your thoughts.

hilary said...

Delightful, as always!!!

Amy R said...

I am shocked that you would bring the kids along on your dalliances!

Allison said...

Oh, what I would give for a MICHAELS!!!! Just hearing you describe it has made my heart go pitter patter! Thanks for taking me to a happy place!!!

Happy Mom said...

Thanks for the morning chuckle! It's sooo true!!!

Laura F said...

Melynie, I need good silk flowers. White, preferably hydrangea. If you should happen upon something wonderful on one of your outings let me know and I'll check the michael's here. I can't go to the store just to check, I just CAN'T. I'll leave with something else for sure.

Leslie said...

You need to write a book. Just for me. Seriously. Your words make me smile. And? Wish that Michael's was closer than it is.

Things' Mommy said...

Laura, what's your timeline? I found plenty of beautiful white hydrangeas at Michael's in the spring. Right now I'm not sure what they have. Hobby Lobby also has silk flowers, but I've never looked closely at them. There are a couple wholesale places that I used, but unless you have an account with them, or know someone... If you can't find any, let me know.

Liam's Mom said...

"But the heart wants what the heart wants."

I need to use that one on my hubby. I want photography crap... tons of it. And I want to take classes too. Wish I could go to Michael's and make that happen with a scrapbooking budget.