THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, July 31, 2009

Can-Can, Can You Do the Can-Can


I remember my parents canning only vaguely. A hot kitchen. Enough tomatoes to choke a horse. The thought "Why, oh why would you put yourself through that?"

Fast forward 15 years. I'm buying the same weird tools, only now they make sense to me and I even think "What a stroke of genuis!" I'm buying produce from farmers and more glass jars than can fit in our small pantry. I'm spending hours in my hot kitchen. And I'm canning.

I'm canning cherries.



I'm canning spiced peach jam (thanks to Laura, who turned me on to it years ago).


I'm canning raspberry and cherry jam.



And I'm even getting a head start on gift giving.



We don't actually eat all that much jam because of the high sugar, so I substituted the sugar with agave. It's wonderful and it is more like a fruit spread than traditional jam.

So, go ahead, call me a pioneer. Call me Mother Earth. J does. I don't care. There's something really fun and satisfying about learning a new skill that benefits my family. And, hello, you know you want some of this jam!

11 love notes:

Tasha said...

Are you seriously canning in the heat you've been having there? You really are a pioneer! The canned goodies look great...could I get the raspberry jam recipe?

Things' Mommy said...

Oh, ha ha. No, Tasha, I canned these the week before the heat hit (and interrupted my regular posting with some whining). I may be a pioneer, but not a crazy one. :)

Leslie said...

I put a canning kit on my birthday list a couple of weeks ago. I feel like I'm surrounded by beautiful locally grown fruits and vegetables and it's a shame to buy canned stuff at the store. I'm no granola but I think there is something to be said for staying away from pickling yourself from the inside out with all of the preservatives and junk that is put in store packaged foods.

BTW, have you read "Animal, Vegetable, Miracle"? It's such an inspiring look at the foods we eat.

xoxoxo

Amy R said...

I do want some jam. Any chance you'd bring me some?

Liam's Mom said...

I hope to have a similar photo shoot in the near future! GREAT WORK, my pioneer friend!

Jessica said...

I LOVE canning! My parents never did it, so I think that's why I WANTED to! :) You always want what your parents never gave you.

I am really wanting to hear more about this spiced peach jam! I ordered peaches from the bulk buy, so in a couple of weeks I will need some peach ideas.

Bryner Family said...

I TOTALLY want some of your canned jam. Yum. I'm so not a pioneer but I wish I was. I have no green thumb (so no garden) and no idea how to can but I did make some awesome freezer jam recently! Good going, pioneer woman!

Leslie said...

Okay, so I keep coming back here to look at your beautiful works of canning art. You have a knack for making beautiful things - even food!

Cory Elvidge said...

oooh! I'm so excited to hear that they turned out great with the Agave!! We use agave on our hot cereal, muffins, breads, etc. but I've never baked with it! Good job! Gimme the peach recipe! :)

p.s. since you have so many jars of jam now... surely you don't NEED the jar that is sitting under my bed with your framed picture..... :) :) :) :) :)

Devin & Anisa said...

Once again you amaze me.. and I agree with Leslie. You make even canning pretty. Maybe if you were here I would try such a dometic thing but alas you're in the heart and I am not so I will just admire through your blog...

Happy Mom said...

I CANNOT tell you how impressed I am!!!! Everytime I get a bug to do some canning, I price the fruit and then go buy cans at Aldi's! But it never tastes NEARLY as good!