THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

My Glass--1/2 Full

I'm not going to lie to you, I'm nervous. Not so nervous about leaving my big kids and flying with a 1 year old to Las Vegas (via Dallas, TX) as I am that I'm just leaving my J. With my big kids. Alone. As much I'm looking forward to this welcome break from the everyday, to hang out with my mom and sisters, there's a good bit of me that fears for what will happen in my absence. I have to simply look at this situation with optimism. Isn't that what it's all about anyway? The glass 1/2 full or 1/2 empty? So here goes.


Glass 1/2 full-- My kids will eat.

Glass 1/2 empty--There's really no telling exactly what they'll eat. I stocked the fridge chock full of fresh fruits and veggies, in hopes that since they were, simply, there that they'd be eaten. "Don't worry, they'll be gone by the time you get back," J assured me. Then, under his breath "One way or another, they'll be gone." He assures me that he is fully capable of feeding our kids in an acceptable manner. This, from a man who thinks that there's nothing wrong with cold cereal 3X a day. I shudder to hear whispers of 'frozen pizza' and other {gasp} prepared food. In the days preceeding my trip I tried my best to preemptively pump them full of fruit smoothies, salad, and veggie trays.


Glass 1/2 full--My kids will be clothed. Probably.

Glass 1/2 empty--"Dressed" is a loose term. Sammy will probably wear his new shark swimsuit all week. Girlie will probably pick some fashion forward outfit like a jeans-skirt combo topped with a dressy sweater (oh, it's something to behold). They have established their own little nudist colony in the backyard lately, so...all bets are off.


Glass 1/2 full--My kids will get sleep.

Glass also 1/2 full--I know for sure this will happen. In fact, bedtime will get earlier and earlier as J tries to manage the madness. He might even put up black out shades and change the time on the clocks. Who knows?


Well, the basics are covered and I'm headed to sunny Las Vegas. I have to admit, though, that as "Groundhog's Day" as life is sometimes, the pit in my stomach that I feel when I think about leaving my little ones lets me know that I spend my days exactly where I truly want to be.

7 love notes:

Allison said...

Have a GREAT trip!!! Your kids will be okay! Just relax and let daddy take care of them! They will have a good time and so will you!

Tasha said...

Enjoy your trip! At least you know by the end of it J will really appreciate what you do to contain the everyday madness! Is it a girls' week out in Vegas?

Amy R said...

Most important, the kids will have fun & be happy. That other stuff is important long-term maybe, but for the short-term, they won't die from frozen pizza. And if J puts the kids to bed at 5pm, well, he'll learn his lesson when they wake up at 5am, won't he?

Jessica said...

LUCKY YOU! I would give anything to let my hubby nutritionally starve my kids and let them run wild! ;)

Seriously though...have fun and it IS nice when you get away...it makes you realize how much you love your kids and really do want to be with them all day.

Happy Mom said...

I used to make dinners and put them in the freezer with instructions, but they were always still there when I got home, so I eventually learned to simply make sure that we had plenty of cold cereal and milk before I left. My kids very favorite? When mommy is gone there is always one day where they have cold cereal all three meals and at dinner dad gets out a big serving bowl and spoons and they eat the cereal out of the communal bowl. It would never happened when I am home, but it's the stuff of legend that they'll never forget!

Dad's no mamma, but they are always alive and happy when I come home!

hannah knecht said...

oh honey. the kids will be great. i mean what could happen? I guess all the glass half empty things but... hey! vacation is vacation right!??

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

It was so good to see you! Thanks for taking time to spend with me! And of course...shhh...don't go. P.S. What were those books called again? Crazy John James or something