THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Say you have an extra 3 hours one day...

You could, in theory, make some cinnamon rolls. And you could, in theory, try out my new favorite cinnamon roll recipe. I'm no recipe hog. I believe everyone should eat yummy food.

I'm by no means claiming that I came up with it, but I have added a few tips that have made these my very favorite cinnamon rolls ever. I didn't make up the title, either.

Ultimate Cinnamon Rolls

Prep Time: about 2.5 hours

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:

  • 1-1/2 packages (about 3-1/4 teaspoons) dry yeast

  • 1/4 cup warm water

  • 1/2 cup shortening

  • 1/3 cup sugar

  • 1-1/2 teaspoon salt

  • 1 cup milk (I used evaporated milk to make it even yummier)

  • 1 egg

  • 4 to 5 cups sifted flour

  • melted butter (I used real butter)

  • brown sugar

  • cinnamon

  • raisins (optional)

  • ---

  • Vanilla Frosting (or, try the Cream Cheese Frosting recipe that I included below)

  • 2 cups powdered sugar

  • 1 tablespoon butter, melted

  • 1 teaspoon vanilla

  • milk or cream (2 to 4 tablespoons)

Preparation:

Pour the warm water in a shallow bowl and sprinkle the yeast on top, let dissolve 10 min. (I found this method to work best)

Scald (just barely boil) milk; pour over the shortening. Add sugar and salt and cool to tepid. Add the dissolved yeast and beaten egg. Add 4 cups flour adding one at a time beating after each addition.

Dough should be soft yet firm enough to handle. Knead on floured board until elastic and smooth. Avoid too much flour. Turn dough into well oiled bowl. Let rise for 1-1/2 hours.

Press dough down and divide into workable size. (Another area that needs clarification: I've found it best to divide the dough in two. Then, with each ball, roll into 1/2" thick rectangle) Roll dough out into a rectangle. Cover with melted butter. Layer with a generous layer of brown sugar. Sprinkle on cinnamon as desired. If you like raisins, layer on a layer of raisins. Roll up jellyroll fashion.

Using a scissors or a piece of string, cut off slices about 1 to 1-1/2 inches thick. (I used dental floss to slice each half into 8 slices) Place slices in an 8 or 9 inch round greased cake pan. Place one slice in the middle and other slices around it. Press rolls down to even out and fill pan. Let rise until rolls fill the pan generously...about another hour. (So, use two round cake pans. Using a 9X13 pan left the middle ones dough-y, for me)

Bake in a 350 degree F oven about 15 - 20 minutes. If rolls get too brown, cover with a piece of tine foil until the end of baking. Do not over bake rolls.

Remove immediately from pan by inverting onto a plate and then tip over onto another plate to right the rolls.

For the Frosting:
In a medium bowl, place sugar, butter and vanilla. Then stir in enough milk or cream to reach a thick, hardly-able to stir consistency.

Spread over warm rolls as soon as they are placed on a plate to let the frosting melt and run into the rolls.

Or, try my favorite

Cream Cheese Frosting

Cream together:

3 oz cream cheese

1/4 c butter

Add:

1 c powdered sugar

1/2 T milk

1/4 t vanilla

pinch of salt

Then:

Continue adding powdered sugar and teaspoons of milk until frosting reaches desired consistency.

Finally, try not to eat the entire pan yourself. At least not at one sitting.




4 love notes:

Amy R said...

Okay, so you shouldn't post recipes like this when I'm in a competition with my sisters who have a lot more self control than I do...

Things' Mommy said...

Okay, but seriously, these are so good. Just try them. Once.

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

Guess what we're having for dinner???

mandy said...

Melanie, I think it was fate that we got together for lunch today. These rolls are EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you so much for sharing! I cannot wait to make them. I'm going to bring them for the YW on Sunday, so find me because there will be one with your name on it!