THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, December 18, 2008

Little Home on the Seattle Prairie





Just call me a pioneer. We didn't have any Christmas decorations this year, our stuff being in St. Louis and all. So, we decided to make some. I bought some felt, made some stockings, we made red and green paper chains, strung popcorn, and also made salt dough ornaments. That was really fun, since it had been years since I'd done that. Here's the recipe for anyone else who feels like being a pioneer this year.

Salt Dough Ornaments

* ½ cup salt
* 1 cup flour
* ½ cup water
* Rolling pin
* Cookie sheet
* Toothpick (I actually used a straw, it was much easier)
* Miniature cookie cutters
* Acrylic paints
* Glitter glue or glitter paint
* ribbon

How to make it:

1. Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Mix together, salt, flour, and water until dough is formed.
3. Knead the dough on a floured surface until the mixture is elastic and smooth. If dough is too sticky, sprinkle with flour, continue to do so until stickiness is gone. Do not add too much flour, this will dry out the dough and will cause it to crack before you get a chance to bake it.
4. Roll out the dough to about ¼” thick with a rolling pin that has been dusted with flour.
5. Use cookie cutters to cut out as many shapes as you want.
6. Use a toothpick (I actually used a straw and it was perfect) to make a hole toward the top of the shape. Poke the toothpick into the shape, then holding toothpick straight up and down, make a circular motion as if you were stirring something. Keep circling until the hole is the size you want.
7. Place all shapes onto an ungreased cookie sheet and place into the preheated oven.
8. Bake for 2 hours.
9. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

I didn't paint mine because, evidently, we just "can't keep buying things." Including paint.

Have fun!

6 love notes:

Liam's Mom said...

SO CUTE! ALL OF IT!

I found an idea for your new custom built home... just one of many ideas I am sure you've already had for your kids:
http://tutusandturtles.blogspot.com/2008/12/kidtropolis-designs-magic-treehouse.html

Liam's Mom said...

Here's another. Sorry I can't resist:

http://tutusandturtles.blogspot.com/2008/11/indoor-climbing-wall.html

Amy R said...

Okay, you are just amazing. My salt dough ornaments, if I ever made any, would be.... well, let's just say I wouldn't post them on my blog. Unless I was making fun of myself. which I do often. So I guess I would post them on my blog. never mind. the point is. Nice work! And I can just hear Josh's voice, "Melynie, we can't just keep buying things."

Sybrina said...

Wow! Look at you all crafty still! Proves some people can have kids and not lose it! The stockings are really cool!

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

You're so creative luff. What a wonderful Christmas for you all to remember. I hope you have a fabulous Christmas. Know I LOVE you soo very much.

Devin & Anisa said...

"So I bought some felt and made some stockings!?" My felt would be cut in the shape of a stocking - not cutely decorated and worthy of being sold. You are good.