THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, December 3, 2010

Merry, Merry (& Christmas Mantel How-to)

Christmas decorating this year has been fast and furious.  I made a big push the Saturday after Thanksgiving (after a rest from Black Friday), and haven't done anything since.  But, all is merry and bright here anyway.



I added some vinyl lettering above the archway.  J was thrilled. ;)


You'd think considering my background I'd have a nice, orderly, tastefully coordinated tree. You'd be wrong.  We've got all kinds of ornaments from preschool hand deer to Strawberry Shortcake on there; souvenirs from vacation, and--my favorite--ornaments from the annual Christmas party.  It's full of great memories.


I wanted the mantel to look really abundant this year even though it's very shallow; here's how I did it:

I attached a large garland to the front of the mantel by tying loops of jewelry hemp (you could use yarn) to the garland, and taping the loops to the mantel using white artist tape.


Then I wove in white lights and berry garlands, hung giant red jingle bells and snuggled pine cones in to it.

 Then I hung the stockings behind the garland.



Then I added a second, thinner garland against the wall.  Between the garlands I added candles (some flameless, on a timer).


And taller candles.


And a berry topiary.


The finished mantel!


Click here for ideas from last year.

5 love notes:

HangerMom said...

My mantel just asked me if it could go live at your house. It says I'm holding it back from living up to its full potential.

:)

Things' Mommy said...

Ha ha, that really made me chuckle. :) Of course it can come here, it just needs to bring that gorgeous baby of yours so I can hold him.

Jessica said...

I was really puzzled as to why you would think it is shallow to want an abundant mantle. Then I realized you meant the mantle was actually shallow. :)

I really wish I had your talent of cozying (that should be a real word) up a home. Alas, I think my home is doomed to cream-ish walls and ceilings for the long haul!

Aubrey said...

Beautiful as always! I get to redecorate my Christmas tree every evening because Joy takes the ornaments off the bottom of the tree all day. :) I like your vinyl on your archway. I've got a saying that I want to do, but I'm not sure where to put it. Have a very, Merry Christmas!

Jamie and Lauren said...

It looks so nice and cozy! I love it.