THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

And This Year's Red Wall is......

...the FIREPLACE WALL!! (cheers) So it shouldn't have been a surprise to J that I wanted to paint. After all, when we were just dating, I gave him fair warning that I was the kind of person who would paint a wall red for Christmas. Maybe he just didn't believe that someone would do that. After all, the first time I told him about my field, he looked very surprised and said, "I didn't know that was something that people actually did." Anyway, Christmas is the reason that, in my St. Louis home, the entry way turned red, followed by part of my kitchen, followed by all of my kitchen. In successive years, of course. That trend was actually the reason we moved to Seattle. We had to start over in a new house.

The red is rendered a little bright and garish in these pictures, but it's actually quite beautiful. The name is Roasted Pepper at Home Depot, in case you don't believe me. The huge red jingle bells on my tree are one of my very favorite decorations. I found them as door hangers at the dollar store. I detached the hanger, sprayed the bells with glossy red paint, then finished them off with a jewelry hemp loop for hanging and some candy-cane striped bows. I love them, and they were so easy to make!

I attached the garland swag in three places using white artists tape. It is archival quality, low tac tape that doesn't leave sticky residue. It's my favorite. I looped jewelry hemp (you could use yarn) around the lit garland (so the tape wouldn't damage the garland), and then used the tape to adhere it to the mantel. Then I added the berries.

This is a weird angle, but clearly all the window light makes it hard to get a decent picture. This is in the archway going into the living room. I put three small nails in the wall (one in the center, one on each end), and used the garland itself to wrap around the nails to keep it in place. The kissing ball is from Crate & Barrel.

For the stairs I used the garland itself to wrap and twist around the bannister. Then I just wound ribbon through it and stuck in picks of berries. The big bow was last. I bought it that way, and it came with an enormous twist tie on the back.
I hope that your Christmas is merry and bright, and that you get just as much JOY out of holiday decorating as I do. More to come!

9 love notes:

Wright said...

Beautiful girl!

Amy R said...

Love the red! It looks really good with the other wall color, whatever you call it. I definitely cannot imagine painting a wall red for Christmas, but then that's why I didn't become a designer. The only reason.

Aura said...

Perfect shade of red! I love it. And I really like that garland going up the stairs. My favorite part of my parents Christmas decorating was always the garland.

Jessica said...

LOVE it! Can you come over and tell me which wall I should paint red? Or how about you just come over? ;)

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

What beautiful decorations. I love the red wall. I think you should keep it red.

dave&hannah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dave and hannah said...

you are such a snazzy lady! I wish our darn landlord would let us paint our ultra freezing cement walls a color other than white. Actually, more than that I wish they would have just finished the basement and put some dang insulation and drywall in so it wasn't so STINKING cold all the time and I didn't have to wear coats and shoes inside. But really, a great wall color :)

Laura F said...

Looks amazing! Maybe I'll need to paint a wall red here, too! Somewhere in my kitchen... it would be really festive with the green countertops. :-) And thanks for the tip on the kissing ball, I've been looking for one and happen to have a CB gift card. Yay!!!

Happy Mom said...

Somehow, I missed this post. Whenever you show pictures of your homey place, it makes me want to come and live with you!