THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dining Room Makeover

This was our dining room "before." Then I came up with an idea for reverse wainscoting, to which J replied "That sounds really weird." That's what he always says to my design ideas right before he gets roped into doing them with me and ends up loving them.



This is the "after." It was really hard to get a picture of what it looks like, because of the backlighting from the window. So, here's a mediocre picture of what our dining area looks like now. The second picture shows it a little better. I chose a greenish-grey color for the bottom, and matched our existing trim color for the top part.


With the help of our friend Mike, we put up the chair rail first (the window is beautifully wrapped, but hidden by the window panels) and then measured the vertical slats, which we attached with liquid nails, and a finish nailer (any excuse to use power tools). J caulked everything before I did the painting. Then we attached the drapery rod and black ticking window panels. I found my white hemstitch runner that I thought I mistakenly gave to DI, which was a total bonus for the table.

And what window doesn't benefit from glass jars full of fake fruit?


This project was really fun, and totally worth the tendonitis that I suffered with for two weeks after.

10 love notes:

Happy Mom said...

Wow!!! I wish I had your eye for this stuff! (I know, you paid big bucks and suffered through years of school to develop that "eye", so I guess, if I wanted it bad enough I could do that too).

It's so understatedly beautiful!

Leslie said...

I LOVE IT!!! Your room could be in a Pottery Barn photo spread...

Shelley said...

It is beautiful. You are so talented. Thanks for sharng

Jessica said...

Beautiful! Please come over and do mine! ;)

I forgot to mention at playgroup
today that I mailed the chocolate check...sorry I kept forgetting!

MissMim said...

Pure genius! You are amazing. Fabulous. Stylish. Roofus... No we won't stop!

Devin & Anisa said...

I can't believe its the same area. Devin asked if you had painted the brown color recently and if so J is REALLY nice to go with your ideas...

knechted forever said...

oh my gosh. I totally love it! It's very original. I'm glad I got to see it before the big change (and be the only one cool enough in the fam TO have seen it :) It's a neato idea for the reversed wainscoat .. but... Dave wishes you would have done a shelf instead of just a rail... I'm sorry I had to be the one to tell you. We still love it though!

Amy R said...

LOVE it.

Holly said...

It is so fabulous!

Liam's Mom said...

I love your ideas. Great work! So so lovely!