THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Checking in

In the flurry of life, I've neglected posting.  But we are here, and doing well.  We've been having all kinds of fun, but as I have forgotten to document much, I'm sure the kids will all look back, see the lack of pictures, and wonder why I didn't love them enough to plan fun activities.  Halloween is a big deal around our place.  We do 'calendar', where every night they find a note in the appropriate pocket directing them to hunt for a fun game/activity/treat/craft.  We've had dance parties ('Monster Mash', anyone?), played 'Pin the Eye on the Ghost,' and today's calendar...shhhh....is caramel apples if we have enough time before the church trunk or treat. 

This year the kids are going to be BYU cheerleaders and football players.  I. cannot. wait.  J and I are going to dress up and be BYU fans, too.  Look at me, all catching the spirit of Halloween.  So many chances for candy, too--we've got the trunk or treat, regular trick or treating, and the Microsoft Halloween party.  For the latter, I was given strict instructions "Nice trick or treating bags (no chintzy grocery sacks), the kids need to be nice and clean (no grubby crumbs on faces), nice hair (no just-up-from-a-nap-pigtails-fell-out-and-now-I-look-like-a-mad-scientist hair, I suppose)."  Microsoft is sure picky about whom they give candy to, huh?

Fall colors have reached us in the Northwest and they are a sight to behold.  It got just hot enough at the end of summer that I didn't put up a stink when it was time for autumn.   The insanely beautiful tree colors-- vibrant oranges, deep reds--and gorgeous clothes colors--rich plums, hazelnut leather.  My kind of eye candy.  I've been loving soft cardigans and boots (J is not a fan of boots over jeans, and when I brought them home he dubbed them my "equestrian hooker boots").  I've been baking all kinds of breads and treats.  Did I mention I killed our microwave?  Four {very expensive} minutes of cooking nothing in the microwave will kill it.  You've been warned.  So, for a couple weeks I've been a total pioneer.  Heating up the stove everytime I needed something hot.  Digging out the toaster oven.  But our new microwave got here last night and so I'm hanging up my bonnet and my flint, and rejoining modern life. 

I'm experimenting with recipes for caramel apple cider, and I just found one that promises to rival Starbucks'.  I'll keep you posted.   Sweetie is now over her 'I hate chocolate' phase of life and it's been ...well, delicious.  A little too delicious, if you ask my scale.  I would say my scale is lying, but my jeans concur.  And, in the mouth of two or three witnesses...  One of my friends lost 50 lbs.  She was inspirational to me.  I don't want to lose quite 50, but, hey, we all have our own Everest, am I right?  My Everest just happens to be made out of Costco's salted caramels and oatmeal chocolate chip cookies.

The kids are doing fabulously well.  Girlie is lovely as ever, and is quite the little artist--just ask the  apple and pear still life she drew.  Sammy is loving kindergarten and comes home with little Spanish phrases and songs. Buddy is rocking co-op preschool, and sings the "monkeys jumping on the bed song" incessantly. Sweetie, oh, Sweetie...I cannot get enough of that girl.  Seriously, she is so amazing and delightful to me that I can hardly stand it!!!!  She toddles around chattering in the cutest voice ever, wrestles with the big kids, lets us cuddle her.  The girl is like sunshine.  I'm going to cry just thinking about her.  I realize that this makes it sound like she is my favorite, but I don't have favorites.  (But there is something to be said about the cute, tiny one that doesn't talk back...)

Enough.  Have a great day!

7 love notes:

Bryner Family said...

Cute calendar! Did you make it? Sounds like you guys are having some amazing times and your kids will remember it without looking back at the family blog. :) I guess Microsoft doesn't want any children at their Halloween party? Would have been easier to just have that one main rule. :)

Aubrey said...

I love the Microsoft trick-or-treating rules, very funny. Something tells me that they may have come from J, not Microsoft. But I do feel pressure to have the kids looking extra cute when we go to the office. Here, the Microsoft trick-or-treating goes from 3-4:30. I guess no one told them that elementary school goes until 3:45 here (and we live across town).
It sounds like you guys have been having a great time. I can't wait to see pictures of your costumes (you must post lots of pictures!) You guys are going to be super cute! Have a great Halloween and a wonderful birthday!

Happy Mom said...

I want to spend the holidays with you guys--you always plan such fun things!

Mindy said...

I nearly fell out of my chair laughing when you said you have "equstrian hooker boots"!

I have a pair of boots Dave has dubbed my Molly Mormon hooker boots...of course he thinks all womens boots are hooker boots. HAHA!

Melynie said...

Brandi, yes I made the calendar. A long time ago when I had something called 'time.' :) What are your kids' costumes this year?

Aubs, are you taking them out for trick or treating? Halloween comes but once a year. :) Can't wait to see your costumes too!

Happy Mom, you can come over here anytime! Just let me know next time you happen to be in the Northwest. :)

Mindy, J thinks that all women's boots are hooker boots, too! How funny! How are you guys doing in Utah? Are you loving your house?

Aubrey said...

We're taking them to the Microsoft party and then trick or treating around the neighborhood later. I'll try to remember to post pictures. :)

hannah k said...

ooh I love all this halloweening stuff! I'm excited for it. What I would really love though is that cider recipe!! Dave really wants some but no way I'm paying $7 for "real" cider.