THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, February 13, 2012

A Good Day

At first it was a bad day.  The kids were finally in bed, and I felt overwhelmed by all that had not gotten done today.  Or rather, things that I had 1) not gotten done or 2) done, and then were undone very quickly.  There was the loft full of clean laundry (earlier it had been folded and put away, then more stuff got dirty), there was the 100th sinkful of dishes (I had already done them a dozen times today, then I cooked more food), there were the million, billion, zillion things that had not gotten picked up, or had been dragged out by my conspiring 3 year old and 1 year old and were now strewn about my house. In short, it looked like we'd gotten robbed, even though I had busted my tail all day trying to 'take back the house' as I like to call it. I felt so frustrated, so inadequate.  I'd given it my best, and my best just wasn't good enough.  A little bit of "Why do I even try???"  And maybe a smidge "Crazy, here I come."  The day was a complete failure.

And then a tender mercy.

Into my head flowed a list of things I had gotten done. Like...

I refilled my vitamin prescription.
All the kids got baths.
I made a "heart healthy" gameboard and bean bag for Girlie's Valentine's party tomorrow.
I wrote some love notes to people I love.  And actually got them mailed off.
I made beautiful bouquets of chocolate-dipped-sprinkled marshmallows for teacher valentines.
I called my (step) Grandma, who was having a lovely lucid moment.  Today would have been her anniversary with my dear Grandpa.  We talked and cried and I told her how glad we were that she was in our family and how much we love her.
I had a family meeting on "how to properly load the dishwasher."
I flirted with my husband.
I played the piano for my kids to go to sleep.
I snuggled and kissed the heck out of my baby.
I finished up the adorable valentine's that my kiddos are going to give to their friends.
I braided my daughter's hair so that it would be wavy in the morning.
I made a shrimp-pepper-red-onion-snow-pea-quinoa concoction for dinner.
I made arrangements to watch a friend's children so she and her sweetie could enjoy Valentine's day.
And I'm currently making mini blueberry muffins for my son's breakfast Valentine's Day party.

And all of a sudden I realized that it was actually a very good day.  Despite the fact that the whole first paragraph is completely true, maybe the day wasn't a waste.  Maybe I put some goodness, some love, out into the world.  Maybe someone's day was better because I was busy not getting my laundry done.

I'm so glad I had today.

12 love notes:

Bryner Family said...

I loved every bit of this. Thanks for spreading the love. :)

Happy Mom said...

...sigh.

That's a message that we all need to hear.

I love reading your blog!

Laura F said...

I love your post, and I love you! Your kids are so lucky, not because their mom is cute, crafty, organized, ambitious and not even just for her sweet testimony, but because of how she really does radiate love for others and for life. Miss you!

Aubrey said...

It's good to focus on the positive. You do so much, you take everything the extra mile. Your children are so lucky. I hope you don't feel too overwhelmed keeping up the amazing pace you have set for yourself. Store bought valentines and take-out for dinner can sometimes mean that the house is clean and the laundry is done, and that's nice sometimes too. I love you and miss you!

Aubrey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie said...

You got more done in one day than I do in a week - especially when it comes to serving and making others feel loved. Miss and love you!

hilary said...

Well said, but more importantaly, well done! =)

hilary said...

How exactly does one, 'load the dishwasher'? =)

Melynie said...

Brandi, are you guys feeling better? Your kiddos are so cute.

Happy mom, I love reading YOUR blog. Thanks for the DIY laugh. It was needed. :)

Laura, I miss you to. You inspire me.

Aubs,how are you feeling? I love you and miss you too. And the house is almost clean. :)

Leslie, miss you and love you too. How is Utah treating you? (I'll bet Seattle would treat you better...)

Hilary, you're doing a great job, little mama. Come visit Seattle and I will teach you how to load the dishwasher. :)

Aubrey said...

I've got a cold, but feeling pretty good otherwise. I've only had a few days of nausea so far, so that's good. I had my first doctor appointment yesterday and the baby looks good. I'll only have the high risk doctor this pregnancy, so I should be watched closely and we're hoping that everything will go really well.
I'm sure your house looks great and you do so many wonderful things for so many people. You're a great example. :)

dave&hannah said...

oh you are too good. such a super cute, crafty, multi-tasky, super sassy momma! Love all you do and you make it look good doin' it girl!

Gina said...

I sure love you! You know how to spin things so they are JUST RIGHT!