THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Oh yeah, I have a blog.

I'd almost entirely forgotten.

We are in a busy season.  First, I've got four kids, so busy season will last for the next 18 years.  Then, J works crazy hours as his fiscal year comes to a budget-crazed close.  At night I kiss him, tell him I miss him, and I'll see him in July.  I've also got 3 birthdays and a baptism in the next month.  Wow, I only thought about what a nice time of year it was to have a baby.  I didn't consider what all the birthday parties would do to me (mentally).  So much to keep straight.

The first "party" will be for this guy.  He found Sammy's old cowboy boots, and dubbed them "My Woody Boots."  He will wear them with anything.


Or, nothing.


Someday he'll regret I took this picture.  And then someday after that, his wife will love it.

I started out big with birthdays.  Creating a 'beach' in the backyard and whatnot.  My friends called me crazy.  Now I agree.  As my third child, this little friend hasn't actually had a party-party with friends yet.  I thought it was time.  But actually, he's only having one little friend over.  So it will be more like a playdate with cupcakes.  I was trying to decide what he would really like to do on his birthday.  Not what I thought he should think was fun, but what he would enjoy.  When I really thought about what he asks for, it is two things: Go home and Eat.  So, probably our day will be spent staying home and eating.  I'm okay with that.

Speaking of eating, can I just say I love it?  My post-30 metabolism has other thoughts on the matter, but, man, food is so great.  I didn't always feel this way, because in high school it was more an "eat to live" philosophy, except maybe when there was a prom dress involved.  Then it was "eat later".  Don't worry, no eating disorders here.  Just a skinny dress.  Anyway, I have discovered such a joy in food.  I love to cook, love fresh flavors, love to feed people I love good food.  And then, of course, there's cheesecake, a matter unto itself.  A bunch of my friends just started their own "Biggest Loser" contest.  I thought about joining in the fun, but I've got a brand new cookbook and a 1/2 gallon of whipping cream in my fridge that say I won't win.  I'm really excited about these new recipes.  They all look delicious, and I think they're my speed.  If I look at food in steps, it sort of looks like this:

Fast food
Hamburger Helper
Casseroles
How I like to cook
Martha Stewart

I'll never be Martha. Ingredients like "the nectar of an exotic flower that grows only in a specific Tahitian jungle" is a little more hard-core than I can do.  I do appreciate roasted veggies and the occasional fancy cheese, though.  So, stop by my place.  We'll have some tasty goings on here.

Well, there you go.  Some randomness from me.  Soon I'll post on what we've been up to the past couple months.  The good, the bad, and the hilarious.

Have a delicious day.

8 love notes:

Happy Mom said...

Ooh! Let me know how you like the cookbook! I've been eyeing that one but haven't yet purchased.

(good to see you here again!)

Bryner Family said...

It's about time! I've been missing my updates on your life. :) Isn't it funny how people thousands of miles away are waiting to know what you and your kids did this week? It's true! Love you Mel! :)

Carolyn said...

I'm coming to dinner! I like food too and especially the kind friends make for me. I'll bring my scissors.

Things' Mommy said...

Happy Mom, I will definitely let you know about the book. And post my favorite recipes. (Brazilian lemondade, coming up). :)

Brandi, you make me feel so great! I love the updates on your sweet family too. Love you, too!

Carolyn, you're going to make me cry, and I'm not even kidding. I am so very badly in need of a new hairstyle and the thought of you coming to dinner AND bringing your magical scissors... Seriously. Your girls are soooooo beautiful, by the way.

Leslie said...

I got that cookbook too! You definitely need to try the savory rice, the cilantro lime vinaigrette (as a salad dressing and as a marinade) and the Asian BBQ chicken. Amazing deliciousness.

PS - I love and miss you.

Aubrey said...

I've been missing your updates too. I hope all your birthday parties have gone or go well. I can't believe your baby is almost 1. They grow up so fast! I hope J is able to come home earlier soon, it's no fun to be a single parent. I've been thinking about getting that cookbook too. Waiting for it to go on sale :) Happy cooking!

Jessica said...

Yay, you're back! :) Not that I haven't seen you, but I haven't read your writing in a while and have missed it.

Also, I would love to borrow your new cookbook to sneak a peak if you are ever willing to part with it ;)

Things' Mommy said...

Leslie! I am so glad to have a cookbook buddy! Can't wait to hear your recommendations! Miss you!

Aubs, we miss you guys! I can't believe it was almost a year ago that you guys left! Can't wait to see you this summer.

Jess, of course you can borrow my cookbook! Or, maybe you should just come over here and we'll have a cooking party and eat good food!