THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, November 23, 2009

I "Passed" the Test

October 19, 2009

J questioned my sanity during a, uh, little bit of a rant the other day. Then he asked when my period was, which made me blow up even more. But a couple days later, I started to wonder the same thing. I went to the calendar, and I was due, any minute. But I didn't feel it. In fact, I started to suspect something else. The next day I went to Target after 1st grade pick up. I grabbed a pregnancy test, and then some Halloween candy to cover it up. The cashier lady stared hard at my purchase. I couldn't blame her--Little Buddy was rocking back and forth in his seat, yelling and trying to free himself from the seatbelt, Sammy was hanging off the side of the cart, whimpering because he didn't get to ride in the basket, and Girlie was in the basket due to a spill at school that left her in borrowed, oversized black sweatpants. I bet she was looking at me and my pregnancy test and thinking, "Seriously?"

I'll take it in a couple days. I'll just wait a little while. I have this, just in case, I thought to myself before pulling up to the house and sprinting to the bathroom. A bright blue plus sign smiled up at me, and I warily smiled down at it. Oh boy. Here was the test. And I 'passed.'

How to tell J? I wasn't sure. Maybe I'd wait for a while, then throw out "Hey, this isn't the ice cream's fault. I'm three months pregnant." Or, so many times I'd casually thrown out "I'm pregnant" just to freak him out. I thought it would be really funny to tell him the news just like that. Right before he fell asleep. Then I thought that it might hurt the baby's feelings that I didn't do something creative, so I pulled the half-asleep kids out of bed and had them do a little video clip. When J came home that night after helping with the youth at church, we crawled into bed.

"Oh, you've got to see this funny footage of Little Buddy at dinner," I said. I held the video camera so we could both see. There was Buddy, laughing hysterically at the peas on his fork. Then came this clip.



video



J got his "freaked out" face on. That's the one where he gets really quiet and flushed, and his eyes kind of bug out. I think he may have even stopped breathing at some point.

"Are you serious? "he stared at me. I smiled and waggled my eyebrows at him.
"Tell me, are you pregnant?" he demanded.
I could tell that my coy games and smiles were not being fully appreciated.

Yes, I told him.
"Say 'I promise,'" he demanded. 'I promise' is the ultimate test of truth in our household.
"I promise," said I.
He took a moment to process, then asked me how I felt about it.
I grinned. "I'm happy! How do you feel?"
He gulped just a little. "I'm not sure."


So, yes. It's true. I, at least, am tickled pink to add another one to our wild bunch, and I'm feeling as well as can be expected, which is not good at all. We were going to wait to tell people (after all, last time we waited for 16 weeks), but the kids figured it out. And despite the whole "this is our family's secret for right now" speech, Sammy walked out the door, saw our neighbor and said, "Our mom is pregnant. Did you know that?" We figured we should be the ones to spill the beans.

17 love notes:

Aura said...

How cute ;) Congratulations on your exciting news!

Aubrey said...

Great News! Tell Josh that the month of Paternity leave is awesome and it makes the whole experience so wonderful! It was the easiest time for me yet even with the Preeclampsia and two other kids, because Mark was home. It will be great! I hope you have a girl to play with our baby girl. Congratulations!

Gina said...

CONGRATULATIONS! I was just thinking about this very thing with you and your dreams of having at least 6 children running the house. You are the cutest mother on the planet! I am so excited for you all!

Kate Nelson said...

I am so excited for you and a little amazed at all you do. I remember when your last was born and watching you adjust while packing up your house, selling your house (keeping it 'show ready' all the time) and moving across the country. I have no doubts that your family will adjust just fine.

Amy R said...

Yay for you!

Carolyn said...

Fantastic! Super cute and congrats!

Joseph & Jessica said...

Yay for you guys!!!! Joe and I were laughing at your creative and fun writing-style, we can totally hear you Melynie! Joe said, "I remember when they found out they were pregnant with their first and Josh said, 'I feel jipped.... I've missed out on the first 8 weeks!'" Something like that anyway. We miss you guys! We'd love to see you again someday!!! Hope you are still loving Seattle.

Allison said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Jessica said...

I am SO excited for you!! AND I am glad the cat is out of the bag ;) How did the doctor go today?

JustusFam said...

I am so excited for you! That is some great news! I was actually just thinking about you and wondering if you have painted your house for christmas yet.
Let me know how the adjustment from 3 to 4 goes for you...but dont expect any news from his women!! I just got Ethan potty trained and off to his first session of preschool...i have to admit though I get a bit sad every morning as I drop off my baby!

Rebecca said...

That is too cute! Congratulations!!

Sybrina said...

Oh, how wonderful! Best of luck to you with your pregnancy!

Devin & Anisa said...

Ah, now the 'delay' in blogging becomes clear. :) I'm excited for you. Four is a nice number. And close together works. I hope you're able to enjoy the yummy food at Thanksgiving. Congrats!

Wright said...

Hooray for your cute family! I LOVED how you told your hubby! Hope you are feeling well. Miss ya!

Laura F said...

Congratulations, Melynie! I can't wait to meet the new little one, you're due for another girl, right? Your kids are so adorable, you should definitely have one more. Tell me you didn't know about this when we talked last... :-)

Mr and Mrs Keller said...

Congratulations!!! That's so exciting, I'm so happy for you guys!

Sarah Ringer said...

Oh my gosh, I love the video clip! Especially the question "For pretend Mommy? Or for real?" Can't WAIT for a new little niece or nephew!