THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, August 18, 2008

Daddy's Cup Cake


Well, I did it. I sent my first off to kindergarten. The day I've been dreading, and the one she couldn't wait for. All morning was spent asking "Is the bus here yet?" I brushed her hair for an extra long time, probably because of the funny, twisty thing my heart was doing today. She declined my well-planned outfit for her first day in favor of her "Daddy's cup cake" t-shirt, and insisted on picking non-matching hair elastics. "That's okay," I told myself. "That's what I raised her for--to make her own decisions."

We took plenty of pictures, pinned her name tag/bus number to her shirt, loaded the school supplies into her backpack, made sure she knew where the hand sanitizer pocket was, and walked up to the bus stop early. Well, it was supposed to be early, anyway. We were a good house away when the bus pulled up, so we had to hurry. The lump in my throat got huge and we hurriedly loaded her onto the bus. I waved and called out, "Have fun!" It came out too loud, and ended with a strangled sound and a sob. The other moms patted my back and said "Your first?" Then they assured me that by the second, third, fourth I'd be booting them onto the bus and cheering. The only thing that kept me going was her excitement and anticipation. And, only two hours 7 minutes until I see her again.

6 love notes:

EmmyMo said...

The bus driver appears to be laughing at you. She looks so cute and little on that big bus. Is that a super-size box of Kleenex?

Bryner Family said...

A week from today I'll be doing the same with Jillian. Except I will be driving her there on her first day. She says she'll be fine on the bus but I'm having a harder time with this than I thought I would. I keep thinking silly things like, "Who's going to show her how to sharpen her pencil?" I've been there for every single moment practically, so it's going to be hard for me too. :(

Wright said...

Oh Melynie..I so feel for you! What a big day for BOTH of you! It's sure hard to let go sometimes, we love 'em so much.

Terry said...

Oh, I feel for you. My oldest starts kindergarten in one short year and I am dreading it too! I think about how I've tried so hard to teach and protect her and then I'm going to send her off to school where I trust strangers to take care of her and I hope she doesn't learn bad stuff. I am getting stressed thinking of it now. I hope those ladies are right that it gets easier. ;)

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

I took Liam to a real day care yesterday for the first time. I am still on the verge of tears today... it's just so hard to trust someone else... and then to miss them all day is even harder! Gosh, why does it have to be so heart wrenching?

Jonathan James said...

Hey cousin. Saw your blog link on the family blog. Good to catch up with you (virtually). Cute family.

Jonathan