THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, August 22, 2008

Cheerful Disobedience

Lately, Sam Sam has taken up the practice of “cheerful disobedience.” I know, I had no idea what that was, either, until my little guy would give me his biggest grin as he'd say, “But, I just don't want to.”

Sammy, please help pick up your toys.
But, I just don't want to.

Sam, can you please stop yelling "Great balls of fire" and flinging water out of the tub?
Well, I just don't want to.


Hey, buddy, let's not glue your fingers together.
You guessed it--he just didn't want to.

He's been carrying on this way for a few days now. My wild Sam, WHY did you rip this page in your new book? He'd look down and shake his head, as if commiserating, and give me his sincerest, “I just don't know.” Son, WHY did you smash the wings of your wooden airplane into tiny shreds? That was met by a long shrug, a big sigh, and a, “I just...got carried away. I don't know.” Did my 2 year old really just...sadly think that he got “carried away?” He will gaze up at me with his huge eyes and then close them and shake his head as if to say, “Oh, I am right there with you, Mom. I so cannot believe that I did this. And, it's cheerful, too. There's no true remorse, there's no penitence. Just a matter-of-fact, cheery little statement of the obvious.


Well, I suppose I'll take this over "IT'S NO FAIR!!!" that I got in response to my dangerously slow "You had better get down on this floor and help clean up this entire bag of lentils that you have just spent the last five minutes standing on the table and flinging around my entire house."


P.S.: Under no circumstances buy into the "Help your child's motor skills by teaching them to pour. Use beans or rice if you don't want a wet mess!"


4 love notes:

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

Wow, I so understand these stories. I so wish I couldn't relate.

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

I spoke too soon on wishing the toddler years away with the "why" and the "what in the..."

They are so precious no matter what, they really are. Gotta savor it. (I just hope my Prozac helps me do that.)

Things' Mommy said...

Oh, Gina, I know. I told J the other day, "Sure, it's totally exhausting, but how many people belly laugh several times a day like I do?" The kids do and say things all day that totally crack me up. Keeps me young (and old before my time...). :)

Amy R said...

It's a lot harder to get boys to feel remorse, I think. Girls-- well most of them-- cry if you look at them crossly. But boys just don't care. I don't know what makes me more upset-- when Michael does something naughty or when Michael smiles while I'm punishing him...