THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, August 16, 2012

The last to know

Okay, taking a break in My Favorite Summer Ever, to tell you what we did for family home evening this week.  My cousin Kimberly introduced us to homemade donut making.  Apparently everyone else in the world already knew about this, but it was news to me.  Really good news.

All we needed was some cheapo refrigerated biscuits, canola oil, powdered sugar and cinnamon sugar.


We popped the biscuit can open (that moment when it finally pops open! Ugh!) and made holes in the middle of the biscuits with our thumbs.  I heated about an inch of oil (I used canola, because that's a 'good fat' right?  I'm pretty sure it actually makes donuts a health food.) in a pot and J did the frying honors.



The kids were on hand to shake up the donuts in a plastic Ziploc with powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar.  I actually preferred the powdered sugar because the cinnamon sugar was, dare I say, a little too sugary for me.  Gasp.  I know.


When I explained the whole idea to J in the first place he was skeptical that it could be that easy.  Half way though, he looked at me very seriously and said "This opens a whole new world."



The kids said it was the best 'treativity' yet. (Treat+activity)

Okay, tell me this is news to you too.  Please.

4 love notes:

Staci said...

We used to do that a couple times a year for a treat when I was a kid, except we'd just pull the biscuits into little twist shapes or roll them into balls. I like the thumb-hole idea.

I've actually never done it with my own kids, though. Maybe if I could talk N into doing the frying I'd go for it, but I hate standing over sizzling grease. Um, I mean, sizzling healthy oil.

Aubrey said...

You guys are so adorable! I haven't tried that yet, but it looks fun. What temperature does the oil need to be at? I'm glad to hear you're having a great summer. I've been missing Washington and your wonderful family lately. We'll have to come visit sometime. I think I'm probably also missing the mild temperatures because we've had a very hot summer. Have a great weekend!

Lea said...

Oh my!, I had no clue about this, how did I not know it would be so easy? This is wonderful and I can't wait to introduce it to my kids, they will be in HEAVEN!

Jessica said...

News to me! I just have to say you have to be one of the coolest people I know(-: I need to check your blog more often, it always makes me smile!