THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

It's Okay



I love life.  I feel blessed to have wonderful friends and family, and I truly enjoy my day to day.  I'm a happy person, love to laugh, and think quite a few things are really funny.

But not every day.

There are days that are hard, some really hard, and I think that it's important to accept that.  To know that it's okay to not be happy all the time.  Sadness, disappointment, and frustration are part of life too.  I sometimes think that, especially as women, we feel like we're supposed to be happy and perfect all the time.  Like life should be, or appear, full of white picket fences and flower arranging.  Well, it's not.  

I think it's important to know that everyone, whether they admit it or not, has events or periods of life where they want to throw themselves to the floor and yell "Too hard!  Too hard!"  We all have times (hours, days, years) that we just don't know how we're going to do it, and how we could possibly go on.  But we do go on, putting one foot in front of the other, because that's the only choice.  And eventually it passes, things improve, and hopefully we even learn a lesson or two.  Maybe we even look back and laugh.

My muddled point here is that it's okay.  It's okay to have the 'dark chocolate' parts of life, not just the sunshiny vanilla.  We learn to appreciate the highs and lows, to have empathy for others, and to grow--sometimes painfully--into the amazing, capable person we can be (whether we know it or not).

So, give yourself permission to feel whatever you feel.  And know that it's okay.  And then, when you're ready, pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and take life by the horns.  You're awesome and strong, and you can do it. 

11 love notes:

Laura F said...

You wrote this for me, right? Because you're reading my mind!

Happy Mom said...

Your post reminds me of Elder Packer's words (not that I can quote them verbatim). He said that discouragement and depression are a normal part of life and that they are useful in that they remind us of the need for and, hopefully, turn us towards the Savior.

Things' Mommy said...

Laura and Happy Mom you're both fabulous--truly. In fact, do you know each other? Because you should. You'd get along swimmingly. Two of my favorite aspirational gals. Seriously, can I put you in touch if you're not already?

Laura, you're one of the most capable, creative, smart people I know. I love and miss you.

Happy Mom, I always love to hear what you have to say--brilliance! And a genius of reminding us what life is really all about.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Oh man, I so needed that today! Thanks for the great perspective. You must have really been in tune today! :) Love you!

Amy said...

How many of these dark chocolate days are you allowed to have in a year? I think I might be over my limit.

Gina said...

You need to write a book! Seriously, you are an amazing descriptive writer. I love you!

P.S. I especially love that "swimmingly" and "magical" and "whimsy" are all regular words you use. You are so uniquely appreciative of life's quirky and beautifully planned circumstances. Again, I love you.

Things' Mommy said...

Mandy, I love you too. And I think I might die when you leave. You're truly welcome for any 'help'. It's a pleasure.

Amy, so sorry for all the dark chocolate days! Wish I could be there to split them in half with you. Miss you!

Gina, your comment was wonderfully poetic! Thanks for liking the mess that spills out from my brain onto my blog. Warm fuzzies. :) Love you too!

My "5"ever Family said...

"like"

Jessica said...

I love this post. I must admit that it is on some of my worst days that I am able to find my best self. Not that I love those worst days, but they have a way of pushing you to dig deep and when I dig deep I remember who I want to be. Even though I am puffy eyed and snotty faced while I'm at it.

Things' Mommy said...

Anita, I 'like' you too. :) And, holy cow, your girls are getting so big and are so stinkin' cute!!!

Jess, I'm glad we could be traveling together for part of the path on this journey through life! You're awesome!

jamie said...

thank you. I needed that.