THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 11, 2011

Day of Love


Me:  Hey, love, we're going to trade babysitting with our friends so we can each go out for Valentine's Day.  When should we go out?  Maybe Saturday?

J:  Sure.
{End of Valentine's conversation}

{Later}
Me:  Babe, if we plan on celebrating Valentine's Day this year, we should probably decide what we want to do.

J:  Didn't we already have a plan?  Let's do that.


Valentine's Day went a little differently 10 years ago. ;)
__________________________________________________________________________



So, I've made a little tradition of making this yummy treat for a teacher gift on Valentine's Day.  It's super easy, cute, and delicious.  You need:

Big marshmallows  (if you can find the pink ones, they are so cute)
Lollipop sticks
White or semi-sweet chocolate (the white chocolate ones are pictured at the very top)
Red food coloring
Sprinkles
Canisters of play dough

1-Melt chocolate, as directed on package. Pour in small bowl.  Mix in red food coloring to make desired pink hue.

2-Stick marshmallows on lollipop sticks.  Dip in melted chocolate, roll to coat. 

3-Sprinkle colored sugar or sprinkles onto the chocolate while still warm.

4-Stick in play dough until hardened.

5-Try to give them away before you eat them all.

________________________________________________________________________

Then, with all the leftover lollipop sticks, make some of these:


Rice krispie treats!!  I have a heart shaped pan for these, but you could easily form the rice krispie 'mix' into a heart shape with a cookie cutter and then insert a lollipop stick.

Pipe on some pink frosting (click here for my favorite cream cheese frosting), toss on some Valentine's m&ms and VOILA!  These were for a class party, so I saran wrapped them and  finished them with a little curling ribbon.

Happy Valentine's Day!!

5 love notes:

HangerMom said...

That's pretty much how our Valentine's Day conversations go now as well. I do still occasionally get a box of chocolates the day after V-Day. You know, once they're on clearance :).

Aubrey said...

J is very funny. I hope you have a lovely outing, whatever you do. I like the lollipop idea, very cute. Have a great weekend!

Happy Mom said...

Such great ideas!

Unfortunately, I can't make them my little one's valentine party since "all treats much be store bought and in their original packaging" How annoying is THAT?!

Things' Mommy said...

HangerMom, ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. That started my morning off with a great laugh. Thank you!!

Aubs, hope you guys have a great weekend too. Sorry we missed seeing you!

Happy Mom, I FORGOT about that ridiculous rule there! Takes all the personality out of classroom treats! Here, have a pack of fun fruits...

Laura F said...

Melynie, not only can we not bring homemade treats to my kids school, we can't bring ANYTHING edible. Yes, my kids gave out bubbles for valentines and received stickers and crayons. I guess it's okay, but I REALLY miss the days of homemade rice krispie treats.

At least you had a Valentine conversation with your husband! I guess it's partly because you scheduled the date and the sitters... maybe that's what I forgot this year. :-P