THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Sunday, January 23, 2011

A Great Man

I have been blessed to have some Great men in my life.  Great men--really, truly Great men-- are rare, and I find it extraordinary that I've been privileged to know the ones I have. 

I lost one today.

He was a man that led an exemplary life on every level.  Important to so many people, well respected professionally, in fields of education, in the community, religiously.  He was also a man who loved me since the day I was born.  A wise patriarch in all senses of the word.  A man who welcomed me with open arms as I left my Kansas nest for college (and helped me move my many, many boxes of clothes semester after semester).  A man I got to live with for a little while and eat graham crackers and milk with while we watched Dr. Zhivago.  He's also the man that married my sweetheart and me (J credits him for preventing me from bolting at the altar).

A man I call Grandpa.

And while it hurts, really hurts, to lose someone that you love so very, very, very much...  While it makes your insides feel like icy hot, your throat clench up and turn inside out, your eyes burn and your head hurt from crying...  While it seems like a raw, gaping hole is being ripped in your life...  There's also

Peace.

Peace in the most flawless life you've ever seen lived.  Peace because of the joyous, heavenly reunion that must be happening right now.  Peace because even though it was sudden, I got to say goodbye, and thank you, and I love you.  And peace in the absolute conviction that families are eternal and that I will indeed see him again.  And joy and gratitude in the legacy that he blessed us with, and in the relationships that are still located here on earth.

I love and miss you, Grandpa.  You are a Great man.  God be with you til we meet again.

18 love notes:

Jessica said...

Ugh. I am absolutely crying right now. I have never met your Grandpa but he sounds just as wonderful as you. I am so very glad that you got to say goodbye even though it was so sudden. This post is everything I couldn't put into words on Friday about my own experience. It hurts oh so much, but you are right that there can be some peace that is found. Hold onto that. And call me in the moments that you don't think you can.

DeeNise said...

Thank you honey for sharing with all of us your tender feeling about Grandpa. We will truly miss him every day for the rest of our lives. He is one of a kind.

jamie said...

the few times i visited at your grandfather's home in utah, i felt a certain reverence. i hoped that that is how my house would feel and how my husband would be 60 or so years from that moment. without knowing anything about his life, i could just FEEL his kindness and his faith and his wisdom. i felt a certain longing to have someone like him in my life like you and your cousins did.

i cherish experiences like that and others that have given me a chance to interact with truly exemplary and...divine people. what a legacy he leaves behind!

Orsolya Nance said...

There is no words to say after what you have said. I am so sure he was honored to have such extraordinary people like you to love him. Grateful for the peace in you heart. Let me know if you need anything ... any time.

Ashley said...

you put this so beautifully and perfect. i love this and grandpa is a great Great man.

Carolyn said...

He sounds like an amazing wonderful man! I just love that picture. What a great moment captured. A picture is worth a thousand words, right?! I'm so sorry for your broken heart right now. I'm glad you know he is waiting for you and you will be together again. I know you are having such tender feelings right now. He's watching over you. Love ya girl!

Gina said...

Melynie, I am sorry for your loss. You had a special relationship and I feel lucky I got to meet him the couple times we went over to visit you guys in his home. I'll always remember his Patriarch room. Such a special calling.

Beautiful tribute.

Aubrey said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. He was such a kind man. Even though I only visited his home a couple times, I was always impressed by the beautiful feeling there and by the welcoming attitude of your Grandpa. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Happy Mom said...

You are one beautiful lady! To read prose like that is a gift. To feel the truth of it confirmed from on high a joy.

I sure love you! What a blessing to have that kind of grandpa!

Amy said...

I have one of those Great Men kind of grandpas myself & I am sad for you to to lose yours, however temporarily. Love you.

Lynn said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Pain reaches across boundries and I am feeling your here in MO. Know that our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Little Birdie Secrets said...

Perfectly put. Love you.

Sybrina said...

A beautiful tribute, Melynie. So sorry for your loss. Take care!

The Cook Fam said...

I was not going to start the day crying today but this post quickly changed that. I really am sorry for the sadness you are feeling now and am surely so glad that you are able to feel peace with it. Love you!

Things' Mommy said...

Thank you, sweet friends, for your kind words. They are truly appreciated.

wright said...

What a sweet tribute to your Grandpa.

hilary said...

YOU should have been the English teacher! Just when I think I have no more tears...but you are spot on about everything.

Joseph & Jessica said...

so beautiful, thank you.