THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, June 18, 2010

The Story of Sweetie

Well, good thing I got that hospital bag packed. That very night (1:00 a.m.) is when I woke up, to my surprise (thinking I had 2-3 more weeks and all) and thought, "Owwwwwwwwww". Contractions had started and I did my best to stop them--changing positions, warm shower. Finally at about 3:00 I told J we'd better call our sweet friend Aubrey to stay with our kids, and head to the hospital. J is the best labor coach ever, and he was fantastic. But, I do have to say that I 'hum' through my contractions, and he was making little jokes like "hum it out" and "humdinger." Unamused.



I was dilated to a 4 when we arrived at the hospital at 4:30 a.m. and I labored through contractions until about 6:30 when I got an epidural. It's funny (okay, not funny-funny), but they ask you to rate your pain on a scale of 1-10. Every time I hear that question, I think of Brian Regan's bit on the pain scale. Youtube it sometime when you have a minute. Anyway, I'm not too chatty at this point, but in my head I'm screaming "10, for heaven's sake, it's a 10!!!" Then he comes in--the anesthesiologist, with supplies that would normally be found only in my worst nightmares. Go ahead, I think, stick huge needles wherever you need to. By the way, I love you.

So I ended up needing two, since the right side didn't take, which made the block go almost all the way up my chest, which made my blood pressure tank, which made 'them' force me to do the rest of labor lying down, and more boring stuff. J went down to the gift shop and got me some gum and a People magazine so that I could at least catch up on celebrity gossip while we were waiting.


Due to a fortunate turn of events, my own doctor was able to deliver our little girl. Dr. Wang came in, put on her fancy blue gown, and asked me to do a practice push, which turned into a real push, which ended up being the only push. I guess having four kids will do that to your body.


Out she popped--our sweet, vernix-covered little Sweetie. I was absolutely delighted to see her. Jessica, my sweet nurse, let me snuggle her as long as I wanted before weighing her (7 lb 8 oz) and measuring her (20 inches long).



Oh...love. The sweet sound of the newborn cry, the perfect soft skin, the new baby smell. It's love at first sight--complete, utter, overwhelming adoration. The moment you see your baby, you know that you're looking at a new piece of your soul...that your heart just got larger...and there's nothing you wouldn't do for this tiny, tiny person.











The past few days have been a sweet, tiring blur of soft moments and tangible joy. We've loved having her here. The kids adore her, and we've savored the new things she does every day--stay awake for more than a moment and blink big blue eyes, smile in her sleep at sweet dreams, etc. We're basking in the little piece of heaven that a newborn brings.








{contented sigh}

22 love notes:

Jessica said...

Yea! I have been patiently waiting for you to post on your blog. She is beautiful and I am so happy for you guys! Glad to hear everything went perfectly.

Sybrina said...

Love it! So jealous, though. Cause i want my baby girl now!

Karen said...

Welcome to the world sweet girl! We can't wait to meet you!!!

HangerMom said...

I was actually planning to type in a contented sigh from reading your post, but then I saw you'd already done it. Congratulations again! I'm so happy for you!!

Becky said...

Ahhh...congrats! She's beautiful!!

Does this make me want number 4? I don't know...feel myself wavering...must be strong...can't check your blog for awhile...

Happy Mom said...

I had to sigh contentedly with you.

I ADORE that Brian Regan sketch!

Your paragraph that
started "Oh...love." almost made me cry! I love it when people can put words together in such a way that you are there, feeling the emotions with them. Absolutely beatiful prose. Short, but completely captured the feeling of having a new one.

The picture of your two youngest is one of the sweetest shots I've EVER seen!

I can't tell you how happy I am that your both home and healthy. She is gorgeous!

Megs said...

Sitting on the airplane reading this and loving it. So happy for you. I can't wait to meet her and get more details in person. See you soon!! Congratulations.

Gina said...

CONGRATULATIONS! She is a gorgeous girl! So happy for you guys!

Rebecca said...

A piece of heaven....I am so happy for you!! She is a beauty!!

juleen said...

oh my what a sweet little thing! so so happy for you.

Carolyn said...

Yeah!!!! She is perfect and beautiful! I love all the pictures and I am so glad she is healthy and happy, just like the rest of your family! Hope you get a second to shut your eyes!

Michelle Walkenhorst said...

Congrats! She's beautiful!!I really need to update my blog to present our new one.

Amy said...

So glad your little sweetie is here & that it was such an easy delivery for you.

jamie said...

i was wondering if there was fun news when i saw j flying solo with the kiddos at church today. congrats! she is precious.

Sarah Ringer said...

Oh I LOVE her!!! Her pictures just melt my heart! I swear I've become a new person since having a baby of my own because I can't even hardly handle the cuteness of a newborn now--ESPECIALLY when it's my new niece!! Give her so many hugs and kisses from us all and tell her that we can't WAIT to meet her! And great job brave mommy! (I loved my anesthesiologist too...)

Kate Nelson said...

Congratulations!!! I dream of a 'one push, epidural working the whole time' story to share one day. My forth took 2 hours of hard pushing but only painful on one side this time. (Guess that's what I get for having a 10 lb 3 oz baby - 6 days early for heaven sake). She's beautiful!!!

The Cook Fam said...

Melynie you made me cry this morning reading your post! Your family just keeps tugging at my heart strings! All the pictures just melt my heart. We are so happy for your family.

ashley said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful! So glad your delivery went well and its always wonderful for them to surprise you and be early. Congrats again!

The Wrights said...

Contrats!! She is beautiful!!! So glad you are doing well (:

Aubrey said...

So, so sweet! Beautiful pictures! I love the one with Little Buddy and the baby. I'm glad everything worked out so well! :)

Gina said...

You put emotions on paper like nobody else. I love your writing. I love how happy you were as you wrote this post. You are a true mother who savors her children.

Happy Mom said...

She's just beautiful! I'm so happy for you and your adorable family!

A good friend of mine once told me that the very best thing you can give your children is another sibling.

There's just nothing like it!