THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 19, 2010

If I May Rant For Just a Moment

To anyone with questions to the following answers:

No, it's not my first baby--it's my fourth.
Yes, I know what causes this.
Yes, I have my hands full and they keep me very busy.

Actually, I don't mind it. You see, I wanted each of these children. I planned for them. I know the chaos that comes with a house full of creative, busy, messy kids. Yes, some days I want to pull my hair out. But mostly, I love it. LOVE IT. Because, while you might think I'm crazy or irresponsible for having 'so many' kids, I actually think it's a blessing. You can tell me all kinds of horror stories about these two kids you know that {gasp} fight or this toddler that {gasp} bit her sibling, but I will regale you with tales of laughter-filled Rumble Royale (wrestling) or sisters reading to little brothers, sibling slumber parties, all kinds of pretend play, or, basically a group of little, life-long best friends who have got each others' back.

So, while clearly you cannot imagine that we had this many kids on purpose, we did. Because while you think that it is way too many, I will tell you that it's not too many when you need a friend, when you need someone to play a game with, or listen to you or cry with you. It's not too many when you are at the dinner table, or Christmas morning, or sitting around a campfire telling stories. It's not too many when you need people around to love and to love you. There's nothing more wonderful and important.

For us, it's not too many.

All of my kids were meant to be in this wonderful thing we call our family.

{Thunk, thunk} (me getting down from my soap box)

14 love notes:

Becky said...

I hear ya! "Woah. You've got your hands full!" or "Your kids are realllllly close together" are statements I hear all of the time.

Rebecca said...

You go girl!! Congradulations on #4!

Gina said...

I don't think you are alone, Melynie. Family is IT! Your kids are so blessed and fortunate to have you as their mother.

Aubrey said...

Beautifully said, thank you. I think there are a lot of women like us who are made to think we are weird for wanting a large family, but we're not alone. And we are not wrong. It is hard work to raise a family, but all worthwhile endeavors require hard work. Don't be afraid to stand up for yourself out there. You're great!

Amy R said...

I get really annoyed with people who try to tell someone how many kids is enough. Someone told me I should try to limit my carbon footprint by not having any more kids. Yes, please, let's make the world a cleaner place for our children by not having any children. Um, sorry, forgot this was your blog, not mine.

annie said...

today i got the comment - whoa! are those all your kids?

Happy Mom said...

Well said!

Every child deserves to be adored and anticipated and loved on like that!

I remember a wonderful mother telling me once that the best thing you can give your kids is another sibling.

Devin & Anisa said...

If only all people adored their children more I wonder what a place this would be. Good job expressing this.

Bryner Family said...

Ditto! I couldn't have said it better myself. The other day I had my 4 kids and my friend had her 4 kids (and she's visibly pregnant with her 5th) and we went fabric shopping. Yeah, recipe for success there! :) We had a good time until my 3 yr old Natalie was missing and I was looking all over the huge Hobby Lobby for her!!! Luckily an employee called my name over the loudspeaker within about 2 minutes of me looking for her and luckily my 3 yr old told them my name was Brandi, so they could page me. Ugh. I was a bit embarrassed and thought, "Great! Now I've made the whole store think I have too many kids!" Oh well. I've lost each of my girls once now. :) Jill in TJ Maxx, Miranda in Wal-Mart, and now Natalie in Hobby Lobby. All at almost the exact same age too, interestingly enough. I LOVE THEM ALL TO PIECES and am glad they are mine!

jamie said...

yes, yes and yes! thank you.

Megs said...

Good post. I feel the same way. The more the merrier on all counts. Kids are hard but so worth it. Even right now as Blake sits next to me and won't eat his lunch (and he didn't eat his lunch or dinner yesterday either) and it is driving me crazy it is still totally worth it. It helps that quiet time is right around the corner.

Joseph & Jessica said...

AMEN!!!

ashtrost said...

I know what you mean!! In Washington, the Liberal state, you get harassed all the time for having more than 2 kids. When I was pregnant with my third people would say things like, "is this the opps baby?" and "trying for a girl?" or "you're going to have your hands full." I love this post, thanks!

HangerMom said...

Hey! I realize I'm a month late in actually reading your post, but very well said. A sibling (or several) is the greatest gift you can give your children. It's too bad more parents don't understand that.