THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A Rose By Any Other Name

We've come to that stage again. Where, now knowing the gender, discussion turns to the naming of our offspring. Or rather, I come up with a plethora of delighful and charming names and J shoots them down.

"Yeah, maybe if she were 80."
"Yeah, maybe if she were a hooker."
"Okay, that one is just weird--where did you even come up with that?"

And so on. I'm not going to tell you any of the names that preceeded these responses--surely I'd offend someone. I will just say I didn't suggest any names of friends of mine, so it's not your name. Unless you read this blog and I don't know you and you have an unusual name, then it might be. I don't want an overused name, he doesn't want it too weird. It would be nice to have some significance for us, but he's dismissed all the ones I read off of the pedigree chart. It can't be too 'old' or too 'ethnic'. Not too popular, too Biblical, and not the same name as any ex-girlfriend, unkind roommate, or unruly child that we know of.

It's hard to ask parent's opinions, too. Two of them are teachers, and have undoubtedly encountered children of any name we could think of. I'm not sure my own mother is sold on my third child's name. She was still making suggestions after we left the hospital with that one.

It's just...the pressure of naming a child. The honor. The responsibility. Assuming the child doesn't grow up and then request to be called Delia (I knew someone like this) or legally change their name to Princess Consuela Banana Hammock (did you see that Friends episode?), this is the name that they'll bear, and hopefully live up to, for the rest of their lives!

We've come to a short list of names that are "on the table." There is a proverbial table, and we place names on it, until someone flicks, throws, or otherwise removes it from contention. The list is as follows, in no particular order of preference:

Claire
Avery
Emma
Hallie

Okay, there it is, people. Now tell me, what do you think? Any one in particular, or have you got one yourself that you'd love to throw into the running?

19 love notes:

Jamie and Lauren said...

I refuse to suggest names, or even share the names I like. That way if you end up liking one that we want, I wont be mad at you for using it because you didn't know we liked it! I do like the four on the table as of right now though! Cant wait to hear what you choose! I hope we can see you guys soon!

Amy R said...

I like them all, but especially Claire. I once played a Claire in a high school play, so I supposed I'm just sort of attached to the name. Good luck with the whole name game.

EmmyMo said...

Well, I'm all for meeting the child before you stick a label on, but I really like Hallie.

Leslie said...

If I had a girl (which I did not - 2 sweet, sweet boys) we were going to name her Emma Kate {last name} and call her Emma Kate. So I llllooovvveee Emma. I am also a big fan of Claire. {And I think Emma Claire sounds adorable}.

Leslie
http://oursoftspottoland.blogspot.com

Bryner Family said...

I like all 4 of your names but Emma has been the most popular name for a long time and I know tons of them, so I would say that's in the overused category. However, it is a beautiful name and maybe it's not so popular in your neck of the woods??? I have always loved Avery but I've known boys and girls with that name, so if that doesn't bother you, that's a beautiful one and would sound great with your last name. Hallie is very cute and I don't know one person with that name. That was the name of one of the twins in the newer version of Parent Trap and I thought that name was so cute when I watched that. Claire is beautiful and classic and not overused in my opinion. If you want other options, these are names I always liked but didn't use for my girls. Lauryn, Allison, Kara (although you had a friend with this name growing up, right?), Mallory, Alyssa, and Olivia. Can't wait to see this beautiful girl. I wonder if she'll look like Girlie?

Kate Nelson said...

Wouldn't be nice to have that figured out at least 2 weeks before your baby was scheduled for induction. I think that would be wonderful. We keep putting names on the table and a few days later, I don't really like them anymore. Something original, but not trendy and not too serious. Something that will 'go' with our other childrens' names but not be too much like them, one that sounds nice with our last name, that's not too childish. A name that will help this child to know that he is special and not just #4. WHAT IS MY BABY'S NAME SUPPOSED TO BE???

I like Avery.

Happy Mom said...

You can't go wrong with any of those names in my book. But I'd Hallie.

JustusFam said...

I LOVE Emma! I wanted to name my kids Emma but Jay Shot them down...dang! Good luck!!

Jessica said...

First off I like all the names. If you don't want something really common (as you mentioned) than I wouldn't pick Emma or Avery because it seems I have heard those a lot. But that's up to you...obviously I don't have any problem with common names considering my oldest is Jacob which has been the number 1 boy name for how long now? :)

Saying them all out loud really helps too...to hear how they sound with your last name. I really like Emma (maybe because of the alliteration?) Avery isn't my favorite...maybe because of the Ave and Elv? Claire and Hallie sound fine.

Apparently I took this challenge really seriously! :)

Aubrey said...

You've got some great ideas there. It can be a pretty stressful decision. How would you pronounce Hallie? I really like the names Emma and Claire. I hope you find a name you love that looks like her. Have a great day!

knecht fam said...

I personally enjoy the name Hannah. It's a very sweet name that used to be popular but isn't so much any more so you can have a name you know everyone likes but just doesn't use. PERFECT! Here are some other suggests that weren't on your list and you may have just accidentally missed them: Aanisah, Calico, Fifi Trixibell, Jaz [i think j. will like that one], Rufus, Satchel, Shoshanna, Yvette, and Quiana. i think that last name gives her some sass. You can do a lot with that. Just think about it... :)

Carolyn said...

Oh goodness, are we in the same boat! Aaron shoots down all my names too and then suggests finding a name that starts with "zh" because wouldn't that be super cool! ...right...

The pressure!

Avery was top on my list but since we already have an Ava, I didn't think we could use it. I like all your names though. Aaron suggested we use Emma, but it is the number one name used right now.

I think we might have narrowed ours down to Aspen and Sage. But who knows, that might change...

Other names on my list that I'm suggesting are Jade and Gwen. Oh, and I think Eden is a good name too! Good luck!

Leslie said...

I'm a big fan of old fashioned or more traditional names. But I think that the names I really, really love are the names of some of your sisters!

Of your list, I like Hallie the best. I'm voting for that if it's pronounced like Halle Berry. Is it?

If a baby girl were to become mine in the near future, I'd have to pick between Lucy, Hope, Amy, Sarah, Angela or Anna.

How's that for being helpful?

Things' Mommy said...

What LOVELIES you all are! I love all your input!

And, yes, 'Hallie' would be pronounced like Halle Berry.

Love you!!

My "5"ever Family said...

All four of those names are so sweet. I can imagine any one those names fitting into your family. Too common? It's all relative. My middle girl's name was #15 in 'the valley' at the time but not even on the list nationally... I, too, love classic names.

Wright said...

They're all beautiful--good luck!! Maybe you'll see her and you'll think ______fits her perfectly!

Laura F said...

I totally thought "Avery" instantly, but I don't really know any of those. Maybe I'm out of the little girl naming loop, though. I think Avery is super cute. But they're all cute. I totally agree with the naming pressure, though - it's so dang hard! I feel like it's this super huge part of creating my forever family, and I picture the names on a wall and calling the roll (as I know I will, and do). It's insane and I don't handle it well, so good luck! Okay, and kind of funny but my word verification is "morman". I think that means you should name her Sariah or Abish. ;-)

Cory Elvidge said...

All four names are great :) Too funny... Hallie is the name we were going to use if this little one was a girl. It was the ONLY girl name we could both agree on. However, it turns out we are having a boy so Hallie is fair game :). I personally would recommend Claire though, simply because Josh will let you use it lol. I loved the name Claire and Jared firmly told me "no." That said, the E name sounds really good with Elvidge. Emma Elvidge. Since it's your last you could use them all and pull a Bench :) Emma Claire Hallie Avery Elvidge... voila!

hannah bee said...

I vote for Claire! My seasoning: Emma and Avery seem to be very popular names recently. I like them both a lot but unfortunately everyone else does too ): I also think that Clara would be an awesome name!