THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, February 26, 2010

Cutting Edge




J got a new phone and gave me his old one. It's a nice, blue Treo. The problem is that I can't use it. Or, maybe I should say, I don't want to learn how to use it. This is part of my whole "simplify" view of life. Just give me a phone with numbers and a pound key. That's all I ask for. I don't need one with a big screen and a multitude of functions. He tries to teach me how this can actually simplify my life--all my information, email, data, internet, schedule, calendar all at my fingertips.

Yeah, I understand the individual words...

Part of me resents the fact that I have to be 'taught' how to use a phone. I just want it to store numbers of people I love, and dial them when I tell it to. That's all. For the rest of all that 'stuff', give me my tangible, paper Franklin Covey any day. I can see my week at a glance and that's all I really ask. There's something easier about scribbling down things that my kids say onto paper instead of using the little poker-thing and leprechaun-sized keys that the phone requires.

It drives him crazy. He's a techy type. Works for Microsoft. Meticulous and methodical. Gets tickled pink by new technology. And I do mean tickled pink. Me, I'm an old fashioned kind of girl. A free spirited, 'feely' kind of person. Steeped in tradition, doesn't like the impersonality of electronics, and loves the smell of organization that comes from a paper planner, even if I frequently lose it. J and I are an interesting combination.

Someday we'll come to some sort of an understanding. Right now, I'll just focus on retrieving voicemail.
Now, if it did vacuuming...that'd be another story...

5 love notes:

Happy Mom said...

I have a techy husband too. He LOVES his gadgets!!! I'm not usually very interested in them. The one exception, the GPS. He still to this day is thrilled that theres a gadget that I love to use.

I'm with you. I want my phone to call people. More than that and I just get confused.

Becky said...

Haha...I agree. People are shocked that I don't text. "How do you get a hold of people?!" Well, I either call them or write them a letter...

Miss Mim said...

Oh Melynie, I just love your traditional-ness. Has J played with the new iPad?

dave&hannah said...

You should check out my blog! I add two pictures :) My computer was being really slow and wouldn't let me uplaod them so I had to save them on a flash drive and use a school computer!!! Darn that technology!!!!!!!! :) I love you. You are so funny. PS, be glad Josh is techy because un-techy is probably worse for you :) [said in love]

Sarah Ringer said...

I'm so with you on this one. Nate and I have had this discussion on the benefits of having a paper planner vs. an electronic one (with me obviously voting for the paper planner). But yes, I am glad that Nate keeps us fairly updated on our technology because it does come in handy most of the time :)