THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Simple Life


I live simply, or at least I try to. I love for life to be full of simple abundance. I enjoy peace and contentment, which, as I look around in the world, is a lot harder to come by than it sounds. My days are spent loving my family and home; daily activities revolve around it. It doesn't mean that my life isn't crazy sometimes, and busy most of the time, but it's things that I choose. I enjoy the sweet flavor of mangoes, and the color of pomegranate seeds and cranberries. I love the sound of my kids laughing together, picking blueberries in the summer, and the smell of the lavender that grows in my backyard. I love textures, and taking pictures of them. The pure joy in my children's eyes makes my heart overflow. I love wholesome food, and most things containing chocolate. I love decor that looks like it's been ripped off of old buildings, or at least had a spicy past. I love homemade quilts, and falling asleep to the sound of rain, which I do almost every night here. I love making cookies and neighbors who smile at each other. I can't get enough of the softness that is my baby's palm, and the novelty of cherubic sleeping children never wears off. I can drink in the beauty of the Northwest all day and never tire of things like tulip festivals and the wild calm of the ocean. New skills like canning fresh peaches bought from farmers, making jam, and digging for clams on the beach thrill me. I love to bask in the glow of genuine friendship and the love of family. The very essence of being together with the ones I love is so deeply delicious. And, I'm forever grateful that I can even notice these things. None of them costs much, but they are all priceless and they contribute to a life that is richer than one money could ever buy. It's a simple life, but, joyfully, it's mine.




































13 love notes:

Karen said...

Breathtaking pictures. Makes me realize I need to just slow down and take some time to really breathe things in...

Happy Mom said...

Your "simple life" sounds just about perfect!!

My favorite picture? Your preserves. I was soooo impressed by them!

Leslie said...

I REALLY need to come and visit. When is a good time this year that's not February, April or June but that's before September? I have to cross Pike's Place Market off my list and plus, I miss you!

Things' Mommy said...

Isn't there just so much in this life to love???

Leslie, we'd love to have you. How is May for you?

dave&hannah said...

ooo, you impress me with your picture skillz. nice. i feel like you got them off some sort of stock photo site. Maybe you should sell your pictures? Really.. not a bad idea. I'll be a model for you. And my strikingly good looking husband is more than happy to lend himself as well :)

Jessica said...

Thanks so much for inspiring me in so many ways. I definitely need to be reminded to slow down and enjoy the simple life!

I love the picture of the kids in the leaves, so precious! We need to get out and enjoy photography together :)

Laura F said...

Oh Melyine, your pictures are gorgeous, and your post is drippingly sweet. I'd tease you more if I didn't love all those things, too! How are you feeling? Did you get your caps lock key fixed?

Things' Mommy said...

I know, Laura, it's so cheesy. :) It just truly has been the past several months that I actually HAVE been breathing in life, instead of wishing I were. And it makes me so determined to keep doing it. This post was mostly to remind myself of how wonderful it can be when I appreciate the simple things. :) I love that you love these things too, and I love that you inspire me.

PS: Luckily, the keyboard is under warranty. I just can't seem to send it off for repairs and be without a computer for a week...

jamie said...

this was beautiful--thanks for sharing.

Devin & Anisa said...

Thanks for the reminder of the good that is ALL around us..

Wright said...

Cheesy is a GOOD thing--actually your post was simply beautiful--a good reminder to me who has had hubby gone all week...

Miss Mim said...

Melynie! I love love love LOVE your detail shots! The lighting and colors are phenomenal!

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

Nice photography luff. You are just a all around talent!