THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, April 2, 2009

To Do



I love making lists. A lot of them. Mostly titled "To Do" (I used to have ones titled "To Buy", but that evoked a "That's sick" reaction from my finance husband, so I stick to "To Do"). Sometimes I even make lists of lists I need to make.

Lists are a lot of things to me.
They are an organizational help, so I can manage my time.
They are reminders, so I don't forget things.
They look nice in my planner.

But they are tricky. Managed improperly, they can make you feel like a total loser. Manipulated correctly, they make you feel like you've got super powers.

For instance, I have been up for the past three nights with Little Buddy (instead of Little Red, because that's what we call him here anyway), who's had a fever of up to 105. Therefore, I set the bar very low for the day. Yesterday, I had only two things on my list:

1. Make sure Girlie looks decent for class pictures, and
2. Care for my sick little guy. (Because, seriously, could you say no to holding your baby if he looked that sad and sick?? I think not.)



Realistic expectations, people. That's what it's all about. The joy of this is that those were two things I could accomplish, no matter how tired and frazzled. I was a success. I accomplished all I set out to do that day! I checked off my entire list! I left nothing undone! Do you see how good this makes me feel?

And then, to make sure I feel even more satisfied, I add things to my list as the day goes on. Things that I already did, just so there's an automatic check mark! Like, "read books to the kids" and "make dinner".

There are some days that I add accomplishments to the list like "breathe in and out" and "smile," ...because there are just some days like that. And sometimes I have "get dressed" on the list or "take a shower" and I end up scribbling it out. Some days are like that, too.

But, yesterday, thanks to my short, doable list, I accomplished it all. And it made my tired self feel exhilarated to actually go above and beyond with trying out a new recipe, grocery shopping, and laundry. Super powers. I tell ya what.

And that, friends, is the beauty of a list.

13 love notes:

Happy Mom said...

Oh, he looks soo sad!!! I don't usually do list, but you make me want to try it!!

Allison said...

I think I need to try the list making. I always go to bed at night and wonder what I really did during the day. Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Tasha said...

I love lists too. The satisfaction from checking it off (even if it's as simple as brushing my teeth) makes me feel very accomplished. And if it's not on the list, it doesn't get done or bought. It truly is a great thing, to have a list.

Chelsea said...

Poor guy. Hope he feels better!

Amy R said...

I know what you mean about lists being tricky! This post definitely resonated with me. Thanks for sharing!

The Wrights said...

I am so a list person too! Jas laughs--I sometimes add something to my list that I've already done--just so I can check it off! (:

The Wrights said...

I am so a list person too! Jas laughs--I sometimes add something to my list that I've already done--just so I can check it off! (:

Zann said...

I am nutty list maker as well. I love putting things on the list just so that I can check them off. :) Plus, I make a new list each day even if it has the same items on it from the day before. It would be wrong to just use yesterday's list.

I hope your little guy feels better. Poor thing!

Laura F said...

I love lists, too! And I love that you made that list with two things on it! I hope your little guy gets feeling better soon, he looks so darn sad! You could add to your list - photograph sick baby - because it's one more thing you'll probably be glad you did. What a sweetie!

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

Lists are a must. I like to put things on my list just to check them off so I feel like I've accomplished something i.e. Get dressed, make bed, feed kids, make dinner (like it's going to miraculously happen on it's own). When I get to put a check or cross it out, I feel so accomplished. Is this pathetic or healthy? Either way, I feel better doing it.

Liam's Mom said...

You are so darling! Another great post.

That photo melted my heart when I saw it yesterday. I just want to scoop him up and snuggle him for hours! I hope he's feeling better.

Love you all!

Becky said...

I am a list maker, too. But I need to take a cue from you and make my to do lists more attainable.
Your poor baby. I hope he gets better soon!

Cory Elvidge said...

LOL thanks for boldly representing the insane list-makers in all of us! I had no idea that I wasn't alone!! :) What I love most about your list: the princess notepaper it is written on LOL