THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Mini Food Critics


"Bland," pronounced the 3 year old, on my homemade chicken noodle soup.
"Delicious," countered the other.
"I vote with the girl," said I.

Food critics. Unfortunately, I don't mean the little voice in my head that tells me that by now I really should recognize when something could use a dash of cumin or a pinch of ginger. I mean the little people who reside with me, unabashedly critiquing my culinary creations.

Bland. Seriously. As in, "I don't want to eat this soup. It is bland to me." As in "I don't care that you keep putting this same bowl of bland soup in front of me, promising me I won't get another bite to eat in this house until it is gone. It's too bland." When I asked him what bland meant, he said, "It tastes too yucky to me." Well. It's not my fault that you added about 50 saltines. Two meals ago.

My kids have also begun declaring themselves "allergic" to things. Just for fun. Like bread. They love bread, so I'm not sure why they say "It makes my throat all itchy and close up." (which is what happens when I eat fish). For some reason it's just fun to categorize yourself as "allergic" to things, I guess.

Sammy did say that he like to eat fat. Why? "It tastes good and it's all squishy."

So. Gross.

My little chef's specialties? Things like chocolate milk with orange juice. J and I watch in concerned disgust as they down their creations. They also use up our toiletries as they concoct plenty of potions in the bathroom. I don't think they eat those, though. Natural consequences would surely be an effective teacher there.

However, to their credit, they are some of the least picky kids I know and (aside from Sammy and the chicken noodle soup and "bananas with decay") will gobble up almost anything I put in front of them, especially healthy food. This Friday is "Russia" Night, so we'll see how they do with Cabbage Rolls and Tea Cakes. I'll let you know how it goes.

6 love notes:

Tasha said...

Funny and gross (the fat part). It makes me wonder if bad feedback is better than no feedback. I ask Jeff if he likes the new recipe I tried and his response is always "fine." This annoys me, but I suppose it is slightly better than having your food rejected.

Liam's Mom said...

Russian night sounds YUM! Can I come?

This post totally brought back a memory when I was 5 and made concoctions in the bathroom too! I'd find a cap to something, and then start adding things to the potion and stir it with a q-tip. Why I did it? I have no idea. I thought it was cool at the time.

Amy R said...

Oh, lucky that they'll eat anything. I have 2 picky kids now. Even Benjamin, who wrinkles up his little nose at everything except bread & green beans. But he'll eat it, but he keeps the wrinkly nose so I don't forget he's not enjoying the food. And Michael likes... sugar. And green beans.

Becky said...

Such refined tastes!
At least they will try the soup...my kids are the pickiest kids ever, and they go hungry a lot.
Russian night sounds fun!

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

Bland, are you serious? I mean, hot, cold, sour, but BLAND? That is so funny. My luff you are the best. I simply love your posts. You have such a way with words.

Cory Elvidge said...

LOL! This reminds me of a couple weeks ago when I made brussel sprouts for dinner and Riley took a bite and frowned. I laughed and explained that brussel sprouts have a unique bitter taste to them, to which Riley replied (still frowning), "I like bitter.... like bitter chocolate.... but these taste NOTHING like chocolate!" LOL it made me laugh so hard!