THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

It Came Back to Bite Me


Putting the kids to bed at 6:25 p.m. last night, that is. So, whenever J is out of town for more than a couple days, bedtime seems to creep up earlier and earlier. Plus, I have daylight savings helping me out. The kids can't tell time, so they accept "Bedtime, kids" as soon as it's dark. (In the summer their bedtime is 8:30-ish. When J was in Utah for a week, I swear there was one night we ate dinner at 4:30 and they were in bed before 6:00 p.m.) Last night, as I was attempting a Thanksgiving-themed family home evening lesson, the kids' silliness meter was going berserk. I said, "Okay. That's it. Lesson's over. Family prayer." The kids were already ready for bed, so after prayer they trotted off to bed, and fell asleep right away.

"Sweet," I thought.

I slept horribly last night. Between waking up every time Girlie coughed, and bad dreams of my teenage sister unabashedly joyriding in my minivan, it was rough. Plus, I was sleeping with Little Red in bed with me. When J is gone, I trade one cute, bald guy for another.

Bright and early, I heard the kids laughing and running around, but I couldn't get my brain awake enough to really care. It was still dark, and I hadn't gotten J's 6:30 a.m. wake up call yet (10:30 p.m. Hong Kong time), so I knew it was way too early for the day to begin. When Sammy galloped in, he snuggled a little, and then in an angelic, repentant voice, he volunteered, "Okay, we won't get into cookies anymore!"
"Oh, have you been eating cookies?"
Just then Girlie came in. "Come here, Sweet Pea." She came over to snuggle, but was acting weird--snuggling backwards. I turned her around and then squinted in the darkness trying to figure out why she looked like a clown.
"Oh, do you have Mommy's lipstick on?"
"Yes," she smiled broadly. "I wanted to look like you."

I rolled my eyes. How can you get mad at that? I extracted myself from the warm bed, and came out to assess any other damage in our still-dark apartment. Then as 'punishment' for the kids, I poured big bowls of honey nut Cheerios which they had to finish before leaving the table. (For some reason, they're not hungry) Which is why I am sitting here at the table, typing this blog.

That'll teach me to put them to bed at 6:25 p.m., eh?

3 love notes:

Amy R said...

How funny! Oh, yes. Kids will make you pay, one way or another.

The Wrights said...

My what creative kids you have--just like you. It is so NOT fun when they wake up & it's still dark outside!

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

I LOVE being a mom for these exact reasons. You are a wonderful example of a fabulous mom.