THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, October 30, 2008

So, maybe I lied...

But it was only so you wouldn't worry. My egregious untruth? That Sammy was better. Because, not only was he not completely symptom free from his croup, yesterday he was diagnosed with pneumonia, which, while it's kind of a fun word to spell, is not nearly so fun to have in your household. He would appear to be a sassy, energetic kid with a cough, but x-rays prove otherwise. Just the cough part, not the sassy--that's permanent. What's that? Why, yes, it is the number one cause of death for children under 5 worldwide, thanks for asking. What's that? Yes, of course I'm terrified to sleep and not watch him. I almost crawled in bed with him last night for that reason. Then I thought, "The only thing worse than a child with pneumonia would be a mom with pneumonia." Because then who would finish sewing the Princess Tiger Lily and cowboy costumes (that's right, ladies, I coerced him into being a cowboy instead of Batman--I am so sneaky)? So, every cough last night had me padding across the apartment to his room. Which left me extremely tired this morning. Too tired to fight a three-year old who insists on wearing his swimsuit and can undress himself. My retaliation? Turning up the thermostat to 50 degrees. If you recall from a previous post, we've got heat issues. 50 degrees turns our apartment into a Pergo-floored sauna. Perfect, apparently, for racing matchbox cars all morning.

On the bright side, I might lose some water weight if I stay in this sweltering apartment much longer. Also, we're really getting to know the medical community here, and, hey, who doesn't need more friends? In fact, we get to meet yet another doctor tomorrow. I'm just a girl who likes to be involved. : )

Thankfully, no one else seems to have so much as a sniffle, including much-loved-on Little Red (whose alias I need to change since his hair isn't red anymore). Anyway, thanks for thoughts and prayers. Love ya.

5 love notes:

Amy R said...

Besides me, you're probably the worst mommy to deal with kids with serious illnesses. We just don't like germs, do we? Or sick kids. Anyway, I'm just saying... I understand and I'm so sorry. Michael had bronchiolitis when he was 2 and I haven't been the same about a little runny nose since.

Anonymous said...

Your blog is soooooo good. However, I/we did not know Riley was sick (can't spell that P Word!). With you living on the other side of Heaven, world, planet,galaxy, you have got to send carrier pigeons or something when these hospital emergences and other important happenings occur! How else can I/we worry enough as only a parent can?

Peterson Pack of Wild Dogs said...

wow my luff! You are fighting some tough stuff and you're quite the writer! i enjoyed your recent blog. I hope you're home is quickly rid of any other infectious mites and you are able to be back to sleeping through the night. If you're like me, I don't do well without sleep. Not only does my face suffer, but so does my family! I sure love you!

Liam's Mom - Gina said...

You are such a cute writer! Your kids are just going to smirk when they read your style some day. So you. So adorable. You are such a great mom to put a positive spin on everything. I love your example! Keep your chin up and keep making friends in the medical field... it can't hurt... unless it does ;)

The Wrights said...

Sorry that Riley is sick, but hopefully better now. Tis the season-for sickness ): That is so scary, we're thinking about ya